Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Cooking for one

....is brutal.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I like to cook! Not as much as baking, but I like to cook. But cooking for just me? That is not fun at all. Not only do I have to half or quarter recipes that I find, but I have to decide what it is that I want to eat. You would think this task would be simple. "Oh, I feel like eating this tonight, well, I guess I don't have anyone else I need to feed, so ok!" But no. That is not how it goes. At least not for someone who is terrible at making decisions. Now if I was cooking for more than one person, I could say "What do you want for dinner!?" And they would tell me, and I would make it. Easy-peasy.  It actually usually goes something like this (and yes, this is all in my head):

"What should I make for dinner tonight?"
"Hmm. I don't know what do you feel like having?"
"Maybe chicken? Or something with beef?"
"How about pasta?"
"Nah, I don't feel like pasta."

And then it often ends with...

"Toast it is!"

Yep. I eat toast a lot. Well, less than I used to when I was in university, but probably more than I should.

And then when I do cook, I wonder why in the heck I don't do it more often. I do a pretty good job at whatever it is I make (at least I like it), but then I just feel like I've gone through all that work just for myself. Boring? Not bad to go through all that work to make myself a well-balanced meal or anything, just, no fun.  It's a vicious circle I tell you.

Oh, and then the clean up. The clean up of cooking is terrible. Maybe even worse than actually trying to figure out what it is that I want to make for myself. And I only have a sink. One sink. Not two, to make the washing of dishes easier, just one. And no dishwasher. The next place I live will have a dishwasher. But you probably figured out that I don't like cleaning up when I cook, since I don't like cleaning up when I bake either. What would be best is if I could bake for multiple people, and have THEM clean up! Oh that would be so delightful!

Next part that makes cooking for one brutal? The leftovers. I am so very very bad at eating leftovers. I've tried, but I just can't make myself eat the same meal more than 2 days a row. And if I'm making a full recipe of something, then I will have at least 4 meals, depending on what it is that I'm making. And you're probably wondering why I don't just put it in my freezer. It's because I have no room in my freezer, as it's already full of other meals that I thought I would freeze and eat at another time.....

I guess maybe I should set a goal of trying to cook real meals more often, instead of eating easy things like toast, and eggs, or other things which are so very easy to make, and don't take any thought.

Anyone want to be my personal chef?

No comments:

Post a Comment