Monday, January 16, 2012

Lemon butter stuffed Cupcakes

So, my mom, sister-in-law and I made these beauties a little while back. We were on a crazy cupcake kick, and even though most of the recipes came from elsewhere, we thought of these at some point during the baking extravaganza.


Lemon butter is probably one of the most sinfully delicious things ever. And sort of a pain to make. Kind of like that butterscotch pie filling I told you about. Yep, one of those, standing at the stove stirring constantly until it thickens up. I don't know why I get myself into things like this. I always think it's a good idea to make lemon butter, and butterscotch pie, but then I get to stirring, and the mental facepalms begin. And the whining. And the wondering WHY I did this to myself. And then I swear to never ever do something like this again. Hah. Yeah right. Too delicious, and it actually is worth it. No joke. Make the lemon butter and just eat it with a spoon if you must. You will be in lemon heaven.

These cupcakes are an "I like lemon" must. Obviously. Lemon butter in the middle, lemon icing. Yep, you gotta like lemon. But it's just this refreshing, delicious flavour in a cupcake, who wouldn't like it!? Seriously.

Make some vanilla cupcakes, this is the recipe I use, just like in yesterdays post:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees first!

½ cup margarine (You could use butter, but I’m just too cheap to buy it)
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 ½ cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ cup milk
2 tsp vanilla
Cream the margarine and sugar, and add the eggs. Beat until combined.
Add in half the dry ingredients.
Add the milk.
Add the other half of the dry ingredients, and mix until it looks like cake batter.
Add in the vanilla and mix it in to the batter.

Spoon cupcake batter into cupcake papers, and bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes

While the cupcakes are baking, and subsequently cooling, making the lemon butter
You'll need:
2 eggs
1/2 cup butter (do not use margarine for this, even I didn't and I'm cheap)
1 cup sugar
Juice of 1 lemon


Beat eggs well. Add butter, sugar, and lemon juice. Put in top of double boiler and cook and stir constantly until thickened. This will at take at least 20 minutes. You will know it is done when you drag a spoon for it, and it makes a dent, and takes a second or two to fill back in. (I hope that makes sense). Store in the fridge, and sneak a spoonful occasionally (wash spoon after and return to drawer). (That tip was from my mom :) )

Once cupcakes are cool, put lemon butter into a decorating cupcake bag thing, (I use the ones from Wilton), and find the biggest tip you can. Stick the tip into the cupcake, and squeeze the lemon butter inside of them until it comes up to the top. Tip: Stick that Wilton tip as far into the cupcake as you can, (but don't hit the bottom!) then you will get the most lemon butter in the middle as possible.


Make this icing.
1/2 cup margarine/butter
2 - 2 1/2 cups icing sugar
Juice of half a lemon, or 1-2tsp lemon juice
1-2 tsp lemon zest
Maybe 1tbsp milk, but you probably won't need it with the lemon juice.

You can add more/less lemon as you see fit. I like it very lemon-y!

Ice cupcakes with the delicious icing. And you can decorate with extra lemon butter that you didn't eat with your spoon. Or get your sister-in-law to decorate with the lemon butter, which is what I did. Duh.



No comments:

Post a Comment