Friday, January 13, 2012

What IS Left-Handed Baking?

I promise, tomorrow I will have pictures in my post. For today though, you'll have to just read. You might in fact end up preferring posts sans pictures, since I'm not very good at taking pictures, and they might be from my cell phone since I have no idea where my camera is.

Anyway!

You might have opened up my little blog here, and thought to yourself, "What? Left-handed baking? What in the world does that mean?" And then maybe "I'm right handed...does that mean that something different goes on in the kitchen when a lefty is baking?" (This is assuming that the majority of people out there are right-handed.)

Truth be told, if only lefty's think it is amusing when icing sugar, flour and butter shoots out of your bowl and all over the walls/floor/chairs, then maybe there is something different about left-handed baking. But since I might be the only person in the world who thinks that's funny, then not so much. Sadly, there are no major differences between us lefty's and the more common righty's in the kitchen. At least not in my opinion.

I mean, yes, I use my left hand to do most things like, scrape the bowl with a spatula, and crack an egg, or measure something. But there isn't anything special about that, other than the fact that I use a different hand than you righty's out there. Oh, and every time I open a can, and I mean every time, I try to twist the can opener with my left hand. Did you know that doesn't work? Then I proceed to mentally facepalm myself when I try, and then get annoyed that the stupid can opener isn't made for left-handed people. I bet there are left-handed can openers out there somewhere. But I'll probably have to train myself to just stop trying to use my left hand, like I had to do with scissors (just FYI, I can't cut a straight line if my life depended on it). Maybe I should try out B.F. Skinner's operant conditioning.... You use your right hand? You get a chocolate.

If you read the "About Me" section, you would have read that I lack a creative gene that many left-handed people have. So, maybe if I didn't lack that gene, left-handed baking would be different! I would probably be able to come up with recipe ideas with the snap of my fingers! Instead of sitting somewhere, drumming my fingers on my face, thinking, "I wonder if there is some sort of square I can come up with. What flavours might mesh well together? Ah heck, I'll just eat a cookie instead." I should really practice my flavour-meshing skills...

I should probably clean my kitchen first though.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment