Thursday, February 9, 2012

Grilled cheese croutons

Have you ever wanted to eat some soup that NEEDS crackers in it, but you just don't have any crackers? Well. Do I have a solution for you! It's cheesey and easy and delicious!

I wasn't sure what to make for dinner the other night, so I just thought I'd stick with something simple. Tomato soup. But, I don't really like to eat tomato soup without crackers. I will sometimes, but I prefer it with. Now, I don't have any soda crackers right now, but I still wanted the soup, and since I sometimes eat tomato soup with grilled cheese (though more often it's peanut butter and jam so I can dunk it in. Don't judge!), I though, well, why don't I use those as crackers! Or, better yet, let's call them croutons so it sounds fancier.

Note: Your grilled cheese WILL get soggy, so if you are for some odd reason grossed out by that, don't do this. Though, if you dunk your grilled cheese into your tomato soup anyway, then you shouldn't be.

Ready for the step by step?

Get a can of soup, any soup. My victim for the evening was campbells tomato soup. Dump that sucker out into a pot, and then add a can of milk. Please, please add a can of milk and not water. I tried this with water once, because I hadn't made it for so long and forgot, and it was GROSS. If you're used to it with water, and have never had it with milk, try it. You will never go back to water.


While your soup is cooking, prepare your grilled cheese! I use cheese slices. Yeah, whatever. Cheese slices are good for grilled cheese. I prefer those over when making grilled cheese sandwiches. But use whatever cheese you fancy. Don't forget to either put butter on your bread, or grease your pan.


Cook your grilled cheese sandwich to perfection. Whatever your perfection is. Mine is golden on both sides. Not too dark, because then I just get mad. I don't like burnt bread!

Then! Cut your grilled cheese into little cubes.

Pour your soup into a bowl.

Now for the hard part.

Pick up the grilled cheese cubes and put them in your soup!! Ok ok. That wasn't hard I know. But that was the point. Kind of sarcastic.

Ta-da! Tomato soup with grilled cheese croutons. Simple. And a great alternative if you don't have any crackers :)

Caution: It's hot!

1 comment:

  1. What a great idea Mari! Doesn't everyone dunk their grilled cheese in their soup?

    ReplyDelete