Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Buffalo Chicken Burgers

I have a thing for burgers. There, I said it. Burgers are my favourite meal, and I tend to be that annoying person who gets burgers no matter what restaurant I go to. Boring, original, why don't I try something new? Well, because I like burgers, ok? I don't actually make burgers all that often at home, so it's nice to get some once in a while. Though, I have to admit, no burger will ever compare to my dad's homemade burgers. Hear me? Never. I know exactly what he does to them, and I try to replicate this, but mine don't taste the same. That might have something to do with the fact that when he says "this, OR this" I hear..."this AND this" and just tend to throw in a bunch of things into my hamburger meat. What can I say, I guess I don't listen very well.

Anyway, that up there was all about beef burgers. But I made buffalo chicken burgers! They were really really good! I usually go for beef burgers (clearly), but I thought I'd try something new. I hunted around the internet for a bit to see if I could find any good recipes, but in the end I just used the amount of Buffalo Wing sauce that someone had suggested, and then the spices I used were just whatever I found in my cupboard that I thought might be tasty in a burger. Oh, and cheese. Yep, took someone elses advice and put cheese in there, too. It was a good idea.

Unfortunately I'm bad at measuring spices. I tend to just sprinkle some in until it looks good, and then I hope for the best. Safe, right? Maybe I should start measuring so that I can actually tell you how much to put in, instead "A little of this, and a little of that". Anyway, they turned out really well. The only thing I'll do differently next time is add more buffalo sauce into the meat. There was only a hint of buffalo in the burger once it was cooked, and sometimes I like burning my face off a little bit. Ok ok, that was somewhat of an exaggeration, but I do like it to have a little bit of  heat. If I have milk near by so that i can counteract it, and have my tongue only burn a little bit. I don't like it so hot that I sweat though. You're supposed to sweat at the gym, or playing sports, or doing some sort of activity, NOT when you eat.

Ok, tired of my rambling yet? Let's get to the recipe.

Buffalo Chicken Burgers

1 egg, beaten
Half a package of ground chicken
Some oats (uh, yeah, I didn't measure these either...add enough to make sure that it isn't too wet, and the meat sticks together. 1/4 - 1/2 cup I think. I also ended up adding some bread crumbs. No need to add both, I just did)
Garlic Powder (minced garlic of the fresh or jarred variety would work too, I just didn't have any)
Salt
Pepper
Celery Salt (oops. Double dose on the salt here, but I didn't use that much regular salt)
Grated cheddar cheese (or any other kind of cheese you desire)
1/8 cup Franks Buffalo Wing Sauce (I actually measured this! If you like a bit more kick, add more!)

Mix all these things up together, until you are able to form them into patties without them falling apart. If they seem like they are going to, add some more bread crumbs or oats.

Form into patties, and either BBQ, or place in a hot frying pan (I think I cooked these at about 4), with a thin thin layer of oil covering the bottom. Cook 8-10 minutes on each side, or until they are cooked through FULLY. Don't leave any pink in there, people. That's how you get sick.


While these are cooking, sautee some onions. I chose red, because that's what I had.

Melt some more cheese on top of the burgers!

Stick in a whole wheat bun, with toppings of your choice, and voila. Dinner.

If you pair these with something like sweet potato fries, you'll have a heck of a good meal. I'll tell you how I learned to make sweet potato fries another day. Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment